The 3% Bad Apple Rule
By Geoffrey Hoppe
I live by the 3% Bad Apple Rule. It’s my own rule, not backed by scientific studies or sociological research. Some might consider me to be naïve, but it works for me, and it beats the alternative of the 25% or 50% Bad Apple Rule.
I believe that less than 3% of humans are bad apples. The other 97% have some bruises and blemishes, and maybe a worm hole or two, but at their core they are good people with seeds of divinity ready to blossom at any moment. You might be chuckling at me right now about wearing apple-colored glasses but my real-life experiences over the past 68 years leads me to believe that the vast majority of humans have true goodness in their hearts.
That doesn’t make me want to befriend everyone I meet. There are not many people I’d want to be stranded with on a remote island for more than a day or two. My issue with some people is that they are self-limiting and unaware, or self-absorbed in the boorish way, but that doesn’t make them Bad Apples. Some of them are just unripened apples.
I don’t believe the world is falling part or that humans are inherently corrupt. Yet less than 3% of the Bad Apples capture our attention, oftentimes leading us to the conclusion that the whole barrel of apples has gone bad. Less than 3% of people ever shoplift from stores, yet many retailers devote huge amounts of resources to this problem rather than creating an exceptional shopping experience for the other 97% of us. Less than 3% of white-collar workers commit wrong-doings against the companies they work for. If I was to walk down a city street in the dark of night I’d only have to be wary of 3% of the people I come across. Less than 3% of humans intentionally harm others in a physical way. Less than 3% have little regard for human life, whether it’s their own or others. These aren’t necessarily certified facts, but it’s what I’ve experienced and encountered over the years. People are overwhelmingly good, and some are truly great.
Most humans mean well, and try to do the right thing. Most people genuinely care about others. Over 90% of people fall in love with someone at some point in their life. Given a choice between getting slapped in the face or having a complete stranger get slapped in the face, the majority of people would take the hit themselves rather than see someone else get hurt. Most people reach out to say something nice to others rather than spout off a criticism. Sure, there’s always someone with a pushy attitude or unkind word, but those apples are far and few between. Most people like helping other people. This is what I choose to believe, therefore it’s what I experience in my life.
Conversely, about 97% of us do stupid things at times. Who hasn’t gotten a speeding ticket, or emotionally hurt another person (with or without intent), or told a few lies (or lots of lies), or gossiped about others with malicious intent, or been vindictive or jealous? Who hasn’t cursed out someone in a fit of rage? I’m sure many of us Shaumbra have cast a few nefarious spells on our foes in past lifetimes, or even in this lifetime. Every time I see a frog I wonder if it’s actually someone I be-spelled in another lifetime. The fact is, we all have done some less-than-honorable things in our lifetimes but that doesn’t make us Bad Apples. The ratio of good-to-dumb experiences for most people is arguably 88% to 12%. This means that on any given day I do about 2.4 dumbass things, although I may be just flattering myself here.
We all make mistakes but that doesn’t mean we’re Bad Apples.
What I’ve seen is that most humans are not bad and very few are truly evil. Instead, I observe many that are hopeless, something Adamus has mentioned in recent Shouds and Keahak. It became more and more evident to me during the COVID era. It’s interesting to note that there was a surge of interest in books and classes in the self-help, spiritual/religious and philosophy categories during the depths of COVID. People were looking for answers. They were also looking for leadership, inspiration and comfort during this time but according to what I observed, they weren’t finding many answers outside themselves.
Far too many people are confused and lost right now. As the population grows larger and technology pushes everything faster, we’re seeing a rapid rise in mental health issues. Eventually, mental imbalance also creates physical imbalance, so more and more people are experiencing health issues, which further exacerbates the feeling of being lost and confused. When I’m out in public at stores or airports or even just driving around town, I see in the eyes of some people that they are just downright scared and/or desperate. This is an awful way to feel and live, and it’s one reason why the suicide rate is increasing around the globe. In spite of their fear and desperation, only 3% externalize their feelings by deliberately harming others, choosing instead to inflict physical or emotional damage on themselves. That can manifest in things like cutting (deliberately injuring one’s body with knives or razors), eating disorders, alcohol abuse or other addictions. This doesn’t make them bad people, just very sad people that are looking for answers.
I’m tired of people saying the world is falling apart. Some public media and social media sources prey on this perspective, constantly promoting doom and gloom scenarios with their drama-laden shows and podcasts. They point their cameras and microphones towards the 3% of the bad apples and help create the illusion that humanity is just a pack of rotten, worm-infested apples. Many churches have done the same thing for ages, constantly reminding us of our flawed nature as sinners, going all the way back up the ancestral tree to Adam and Eve… from the moment Eve took the bite out of the frickin’ apple. It’s now expected of us to do bad things so we have to go to church on Sunday to hear more about our sins.
Growing up in a Catholic household, I remember going to confession every few months. I struggled to think of any bad things I had done, but apparently the priests figured I was a sinner and they certainly expected to hear a good story when I entered the confessional box. I usually remembered a few bad things, but the priests wanted more because they felt that all 10-year old boys were little demons by nature. I felt like a sinner for not having sinned enough so I finally made up a list that I used every time I knelt in the confessional box. I lied five times, I stole five times, I cussed five times, and I disobeyed my parents five times. It was expected that I was a sinner, so I gave the priest what he wanted: Dirt. Little did he know that my biggest sin was lying to him in order to fulfill his expectations. The point is, even our supposedly sacred religious institutions believe we are bad. Their entire marketing campaign over the last two thousand years or more is based on the Bad Apple premise. With enough prayer and donations, we can be transformed from Bad Apples into Apple Sauce.
Adamus has said it on more than a few occasions: In all of creation, there are no greater beings than human beings. It’s interesting to note that I used his quote in a recent interview I did on Alex Ferrari’s Next Level Soul podcast (watch interview). It drew more challenging comments than just about any other topic I discussed. Some viewers took direct offense with this statement, noting that the Pleiadians and Zetas and other aliens are far more advanced than humans. I’ll believe it when I see it, but I just haven’t had enough tangible evidence that they are better than humans, or that they actually exist. For some strange reason, people actually want to believe there are greater, more advanced beings rather than take responsibility for our own divine light. They are sure that humans are bad. (Side note: Adamus said that when we meet these advanced cosmic beings they are just ourselves from the future, and they will remind us of the greatness and goodness within us right now.)
We’re here for the simple job of letting our light shine to the world, therefore enabling others to become aware of their higher potentials. We’re not up against insurmountable odds; Ninety-seven percent of humans are basically good, decent people. They just need a little light to help guide them in the direction of their own soul. They just want some hope and clarity amidst a lot of confusion and energy noise. We are not trying to overcome organized evil (if there is such a thing), government conspiracies, the 12 families that supposedly control the world, Chem-Trails, Big Pharma, or Flat Earthers. Let someone else take them on. We’re here to shine our consciousness to the 97% of the good apples that will flourish and grow in the light. This is how the world changes. This is what we’re here for.
* The Fine Print: Most of the statistics in this article are based only on my perspective reality, unless otherwise noted. Ultimately, it’s all about perspectives.